Wednesday, April 20, 2011

The National Day of Silence

As it is nearly impossible not to know, the Day of Silence was last Friday (4/15). All day, I carried around my journal and wrote down a few observations I made on that day. I wrote a TON, and the following is the most relevant of what I scribbled down. I have a very open and generally common opinion (among the pro-gays) when it comes to gay rights. We’re all humans. We all deserve to be treated the same.

After the actual DoS blah, I share a story of bisexual intolerance that is quite close to my heart, as well as my closing thoughts on this topic (for now)

{I swear a lot when I’m trying to prove a point. Sorry ‘bout that, if you’re like that}

First Period:

It’s the National Day of Silence (DoS) today and, duh, I’m participating. Almost everyone I know is doing it. The thing is, though, is that It’s first. fucking. period. And people are already quitting. It’s not supposed to be easy, bitches. Do you think it’s easy for those we represent? Those harassed, put down, even assaulted by homophobes every. damn. day? Don’t be idiots.

Also, those saying silence is incredibly fucking pointless? The Vow of Silence for Free the Children raised over $15 million for children in poverty. Do you call that nothing?

Now, we can’t buy homophobes into tolerance, but we can help them understand that there are people out there that do care about the LGBT’s. Become one of them. The world will become a much better place once we can get along.

Oh, and DoS is not a joke. It’s fucking serious. Joking around and pretending to be funny by saying “I’m gay, lol” is not polite any day, but on a day when everyone is thinking about the effects this day may have on the world it’s just… unfathomable.

Second Period:

That had to be the shortest possible recognition of DoS possible. Seriously. Also, THIS IS NOT A FUCKING GAME!! And, are the x’s on my face not enough? Do I really have to tape my damn mouth shut?

{This isn’t really DoS related, but I need to mention it…} ugh… *takes quiz* what the literal balls?? How the hell was I supposed to pass that quiz with those annoying-ass songs in the background? Like, seriously. I wouldn’t pass that quiz without the music but COME ON! Oh my god, I need to listen to some Baby Rodeo or Starkid or something… these are bad, bad thoughts…. MAKE THEM GO AWAY! [And then I quote “Gotta Get Back to Hogwarts” for a while..]

Oh, and I don’t have to be silent on Twitter and Facebook and Tumblr, but I will cos cyberbullies are bitches. #darrenshrug

Third period:

Is gym and I was worried I wouldn’t be able to write, but Ms. Dean is being awesome. So, let’s get to the haters, shall we?

Jimmy* warned his followers about the haters, but I didn’t think I would take all this hate so… personally, I guess. I normally just shrug the haters off, but this time, I can’t.

I’m not just doing this for the LGBT’s, but for everyone who is denied their rights. We are all entitled rights. We’re all humans.

I’m not in the mood for this rights talk right now. I’d rather watch Diary of a Wimpy Kid. The kid who plays Rodrick is pretty freaking hot. And he’s wearing guyliner. Why do I find guyliner so damn sexy? Whatever. I am bovvered.

*Jimmy= Jimmy Elliott. He started an organization called Holding of Wrist, which is an amazing support system for suicidal teens. He is super amazing. xD

Period 4:

Everyone is still treating it like a game. I swear to god I will start preaching… ugh…

6th period:

Is lunch. Everyone is saying “we can talk at lunch,” but that is the stupidest thing I’ve ever heard. It’s the DAY of Silence, as in a WHOLE DAY. For the Vow, I didn’t talk at lunch. Participants here are big whiny bitches. They’re all “we don’t have to start till 7:20, and we can talk at lunch, and we can talk after school.” NO, BITCH. A day is a day. Clearly y’all need to be paying attention during school. During the Vow, I gave up and felt terrible. I will be silent for a damn day, ok? (/tyleroakley)

[A bit later] For reals. That bitch did NOT just say “no homo.”

7th period:

It’s funny… I wonder who is doing/ did the DoS because they are in alliance with/ part of the LGBT community, or because a friend convinced them to do it so they would be less tempted to talk… still bovvered.

8th period.

I’m pretty sure the two of us are the last ones who actually are doing DoS. Ugh, bitches. Ms. Mines is opening a discussion about culture and how awareness of the LGBT community is part of our culture. It’s kinda funny watching her go into it without her totally preaching her views, cos, ya know, teachers aren’t supposed to do that. It’s nice of her to totally be totally in support of all that DoS does. She tries to blow off the fact that she actually has opinions. Ms. Mines is so cool. Even if everyone else says she’s a bitch.

If you know me IRL, it is very possible that you are friends with me on Facebook. If you are, then you can go to my info page on my profile. There, you may notice that it says that I am “interested in” both guys and girls. Now, the other day, this came up in my English class, and it stirred up a little bit of ~controversy~ in my little corner of the classroom. I was asked “are you gay” and “are you bi” and other questions to that extent. Honestly, I didn’t know how to answer so I didn’t. At this point in my life, being a mostly normal teenage girl, it’s okay for me not to definitively identify with a certain “sexuality.” I mean, I like guys... believe me, I do, but much like the great Darren Criss, I’m open to new experiences. (not the best comparison, but deal with my insanity)

I would normally blow something like this off, but one of the comments made- by someone I have become really close friends with in the past couple years- just… rubbed me the wrong way. This friend, well, she has a very interesting relationship with the LGBT community, but I won’t get into that. But she made the last comment that a bothered to hear regarding that conversation.

Once it was “established” that I was bi, said friend very seriously said something along the lines of “ya know bisexuals just sleep around…” This, understandably, pissed me off.

A while ago (back when I used it) I encountered a thread in Your Pants that a girl started for a school project. She asked that whoever find that thread to post their opinions on bi people or- if you were bi- to share your coming out story and how people react(ed) to that fact. There were a lot of stories about misconceptions -like this one- and how they can make or break the decision to come out.

{side note: there were a pansexuals on that thread. Pansexuals have a cool outlook on sex appeal. Just sayin’.}

Bottom line: I’m a teenage girl. I’m allowed to have all these feelings. Now, if you would excuse me, I would like to think about the last time my bisexual best (girl) friend and I sat next to each other. (because it PAINS me to think about what happened the last time I had social interactions with the guy I sorta like… (don’t ask, but if you have any sort of ideas, I will kill you in your sleep.)

No comments:

Post a Comment