My Spanish teacher has a plaque on the wall with the quote "Be the change you wish to see in the world." Gandhi said that. I love Gandhi. Anyway, I have decided to take steps to adopt this philosophy into my own life. I, as you will know if you know me personally, strive to be something larger than myself. Most of my family labels me as a hippie, which is fitting, but almost derogatory...
so, I have personally rather attached to a few different charities. The first of which, being almost mandatory for all Nerdfighters is the Harry Potter Alliance. Next, another Nerdfighter cause is the Uncultured Project. Another charity group that I really agree with is Free the Children. As one example of Free the Children in Action would be the Vow of Silence, which I took a part of (look at my last entry). The final charity that I have found us Greenpeace, an environmental protection charity.
There is also BriBry. Yes, he deserves his own paragraph. Brian does videos about all the things on a typical bucket list: skydiving, streaking, even making a scene in a college lecture. Here is the thing that I love the most: every other task he does, he does it for the Russ Nugent Foundation. Russ was his friend who recently died of cancer. BriBry is just an all around amazing person: sweet, funny, passionate, and not to mention adorable.
Therefore, taking all of everything into consideration, a few changes will be coming to me.
- Starting on New Years, I will become a vegetarian. For the technical people, I will be a "lacto-ovo" vegetarian. I will still eat milk and eggs, but avoid all other animal- based products, including gelatin.
- I will also be participating in many other charitable activities, like the Vow. In fact, pretty soon is "la Solidarte," a fundraiser for the victims of the Haitian earthquake that happened January 12, 2010.
Uncultured Project: http://uncultured.com/
Free the Children: http://www.freethechildren.com/
GreenPeace: http://www.greenpeace.org/usa/
BriBry: http://www.youtube.com/user/BriBryontour
No comments:
Post a Comment